Cultural Distance

Discussion of Thai-Western relationships and the book, "Thailand Fever."
Richard

Cultural Distance

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:14 am

Reading previous posts has made me realise how divorced I have become from the Thai way of doing things since my return from Thailand early this year. Attitudes and norms which appeared quite reasonable when in Thailand have began to appear foreign and strange. The consequence of this is that a woman who I met and was very fond of while in Thailand is now starting to appear a little remote also in spite of our very regular communication and my continuing fondness for her. I now find myself questioning her motives and desires on purely western grounds. I recognise that my expectations are totally unreasonable but I find that my enthusiasm to bridge the cultural differences between us (which I once found fascinating and desirable) is being sabotaged by the fact that I am 8000 km away and living in a totally western environment. Does this mean that I have returned to reality or does it mean that I have lost site of it? I don't know. I feel a large sense of loss at the fact that this distance is growing between us but at the same time it causes me to question my own motivations and sincerity. Any thoughts??

Nida

thinking of what cause it

Post by Nida » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 pm

I read your messages and end up with a question..that is, why it is starting to remote and disappear? what 's come first? Her reaction? or your feeling or your thought oe it is just the same time..I think our culteral background is different..but both has to be agree upon to mutually communicate...if it just once, one feel like it has no plasure to continuely talk..then..I think it would stop...