Excellent book

Discussion of Thai-Western relationships and the book, "Thailand Fever."
geist2509

Excellent book

Post by geist2509 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:06 am

This is an excellent book. I just received my copy yesterday and read it cover to cover. This book describes exactly how the 2 cultures are. I am from asia but grew up in Canada. This book explains clearly asian views and western views. I live seeing both views. And these 2 authors took a great time to put it in print. I highly recommend this book for anybody in a Thai western relationship. And both parties should read the book. It will greatly help both in understanding eachother.
To the western reader, yes the authors are telling the truth you will have to support the family to a great extent.
To the Thai reader, yes not everybody is rich in farangland and westerners do buget their money in advance.

GREAT BOOK :P

Jules

Help

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:26 pm

To anybody who has read this book,

I am in a Western woman/Thai man relationship and would like to understand more about our cultural differences. I realise Thailand Fever has been written mainly to help people in a Thai woman/Western man relationship, but as many relationship problems can be general and because the book focuses a lot on the different cultural aspects of relationships I would like to know different peoples opinions on how useful this book would be to me.

Dutch Farang

great book

Post by Dutch Farang » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:03 pm

I bought this book last time I was in Thailand and read it just a couple of days ago. I think it is a very good book for any Thai or Farang who want to understand other cultures. Especially the ones who want to start a relationship.
Allthough I don't agree with some things in the book, in general it gives a good view about western culture

riff raff

Post by riff raff » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 am

In short, Jules, your husband has to pay your ol' golk a lot of money!!!!

Farang

Post by Farang » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Fantastic book. It was recommended by a Western friend in the same building. I've been to Thailand about 5 times, all on mostly short business stints (usually 8 weeks or less) and each time I've met a girl who suddenly decided she wanted to be my bosom buddy and lifelong pal.

While I've never taken any of these relationships very far, this book has really opened my eyes regarding Thai Culture. I can't speak for the Thai side, but the description of the Westerner is right on, and frankly, it's a little embarrassing to admit that we live in a society that cares so little for its elders and has such rude, unruly and out of control youth.

All in all, I think Thai Women are extremely charming and worth the effort for anybody who's looking for a wife. Thanks for the Book. I bought two.

mrbaja

Good book!!!

Post by mrbaja » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:00 pm

My fiancee/wife Ang found Thailand Fever while we were waiting for a flight to Singapore. I had seen it but looking at the cover and title I had assumed it was another "How to score with Thai chicks" book. Needless to say I was very wrong! I loved my fiancee and I could read together (me English and her Thai).

I do wish I had Thailand Fever before I met Angs family. I met my In laws having no clue what I was getting myself into! It's a long and funny story involving me thinking "National Geographic" experience and her thinking I'm being very quick to meet her parents! We laugh about it alot :) However, I love my new family and all is going great. The book helped Ang and I learn to deal with understandings/misunderstangs of each others culture and has put us at ease. The official wedding is planned for January! :D

marceziani

Post by marceziani » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:29 am

I am very glad to have read this book, since I am in the beginning of a Thai-Dutch relationship right now. I find that the Western part of the book is written in an American view rather than a European view. But as the authors have written in the preface on page 18: "there is no one 'Western' culture any more than there is one 'Thai' culture. Our book makes broad generalities that will certainly be wrong for some Thais and some Westerners some of the time." This book is very helpful and it should be read by all lovers starting a Thai-Western relationship.

venturalaw

Cover girl

Post by venturalaw » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 am

Enjoyed your book which provided a wealth of information and understanding. It helped me immensely in paving a path toward a most successful and satisfying marriage to a Thai national (I am from the US).

I have a curiosity concerning the young lady on the cover - might she be available? I have a close friend who would definitely be interested (as would many I am certain).

Thank you.

babusar

Post by babusar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 am

I can agree to most of your comments. I just bought luckyli the book a few days before my second visit to my girlfriends parents. I was much better prepared. And also during the stay at her home, my girlfriend was reading daily the thai part of the book.

I truly think without the book my second stay at my girlfriends home would have been a small disaster. Now we are engaged and a wedding date is settled as well as the money part.

I only can recommend this book to EVERYONE stays or want to stay in a relationship with a Thai women.

:D

DAGO

Post by DAGO » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Agreed, this book is a great book. I especially like the way its written in both Thai and ENglish, great idea.

bharathiraja

Post by bharathiraja » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi DAGO! I'm also agreed this, then i really like this book. It's a wonderful one. I only can recommend this book to EVERYONE stays or want to stay in a relationship with a Thai women.